black history, theology, Kids' books

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Dear Scott Hamilton


Dear Scott, 

Sometimes as a writer you feel something so strongly that you have to write about it. Even if you want to write about other things, your mind and your heart keep steering you in another direction. Sometimes things demand to be written. I feel like this was one of those things. 

I was trying to think about why the news of your current health circumstances was hitting me so hard emotionally. 

And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the reasons were all things I wish I would have told you personally a long time ago. I think the core of those sentiments can be summed up in two words. 

Thank you! 

First, thanks for constantly encouraging me not to waste my life. You are not the only person who has taught me to live with eternity in mind. John Piper has written books about it. LeCrae has rapped about it.  

But they did it from a distance. They are not people I know personally. You looked us in our eyes and told us live a life that matters for the gospel. And just so you know, I listened. And even when I would lose focus, there would be some place where our paths crossed. You would begin to talk about ministry, teenagers and eternal hope. 

You'd choke on your words. And you'd tear up. And I'd remember. 

I needed every one of those reminders to live in light of eternity. Thanks for encouraging me to give my life away rather than waste it. 

Second, thanks for sending me out to Bermuda. And then the Bahamas. I always thought you were playing pranks when you called me and told me to go to these places. I feel alive - not just breathing but really alive - whenever I am helping urban kids process the gospel. I know that is what I was meant to do. 

I'm not even on Young Life staff, but you've entrusted me to take the gospel to two different islands. And those trips are some of my family's most cherished memories. 

And, finally, you have watched me struggle through seasons of trying to be family man, financial provider for a large family and a volunteer Young Life leader. On more times than I can count on one hand, you've gone out of our your way to help financially. You know what I'm talking about.

I just wanted to communicate to you how much I look up to you. If you've taught us in the Young Life Commonwealth Region anything, it's to pray. And then pray. And then pray some more. And we count it our privilege to pray for you now. 

Get well soon! 

We're praying! 

In Christ

Chris Lassiter. 


2 comments:

  1. I was just saying the same exact thing yesterday! What a powerful man you are Scott, and ALL because you rely on Him!!!

    ReplyDelete