black history, theology, Kids' books

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The One Web Site I wish I would have found sooner

For all of my adult life, I have loved to write.

And so I have written.

I wrote sports for a newspaper. I started a blog. I've contributed to music magazines and Web Sites for years, and I've written consistently for Young Life Relationships. I even had my first book published with Moody Publications in 2013.


Despite growing as a writer, I still know there's a ton more to learn. And I also realized that I knew absolutely nothing about the writing industry. Ok, I wrote a book! What happens next?

I knew there had to be a resource out there to help people in my situation, and I found it on a Web Site for the Greater Philly Writer's Conference

Here's the great thing! I couldn't make the conference, but they in essence can bring the conference to you. All of the conference messages are available as mp3s or cds that you can order. I've ordered 18 messages from the 2013 conference  and I've learned information that will be invaluable to me going forward as a writer. 

A few of my favorites from the 2013 conference were: 


  • Publish Your Book - Jomo Johnson
  • 20 Ways to Market Your Book Marsha Hubler
  • How to Book Speaking Engagements - Becky Spencer
  • Best-Selling Children's Books - Sally Apokedak
  • Publishing With a Small Press? - Eddie Jones
I look forward to getting the 2014 messages next, and prayerfully even attending the event in 2015. (Hit me up if you are interested. Maybe we'll carpool)

Please do yourself a favor. Find the topics that interest you and order them today! 

I write these blogs as conversation-starters. What other great resources have you found to help you as writers? 


Chris Lassiter is a Christ-follower, a husband to Emily (read her blog here), a father to five kids and a freelance writer for Young Life Relationships, HipHopDX.com, JamTheHype.com and other publications. His first book, You're Grounded, was published by Moody Publications last year. You can order the book here



No comments:

Post a Comment