black history, theology, Kids' books

Thursday, August 7, 2014

5 Reasons I go to Chicago Every Summer ... And Maybe You Should, Too

Another year. Another great Legacy Conference. 


Every year I make an effort to make it to Chicago for the Legacy Conference. I didn't think I was going to get to go for financial reasons in 2014, but as I prayed about going I got an unexpected check, which was really an encouragement to my prayer life as well. 

I'm going to list five of the reasons that I keep going back year after year in hopes that more of my friends will join me for the Legacy Conference in 2015. 

1.  I go every year because of the atmosphere of the conference. 


It's like a big 'ol family reunion for Christians who live and serve in an urban context. If you have a big extended family that gets together each year for a reunion - with lots of laughs and lots of food - then you know what I mean. It's like a reunion where everyone is related by Christ. It's something you have to experience, and I hope that you will. 

2. I go every year because of the rich biblical teaching. 



I had to leave before Francis Chan spoke this year, but Art Arzudia and HB Charles blew me away in the general sessions that I did attend. Listen to the first five minutes of the HB Charles sermon to see what I mean. Art Arzurdia just has a way to capsulizing things with his words, such as "Any problem I have with the church must be a lover's quarrel."  

Or, this quote: 

"Young people are leaving are leaving the church of Jesus Christ today in unprecedented proportions -  not because the youth group isn't cool enough, or the music isn't contemporary enough or the media isn't sophistocated enough - but because our portrayal of Jesus Christ and the cross aren't compelling enough." Listen to that five-minute sermon snippet here

In addition, there are dozens of breakout sessions you can attend on all different manners of topics including arts, theology, preaching, social justice, family, etc. 

3. I go every year because of the amazing artistry on display. 



In 2014, the conference dedicated a whole night to a spoken word artist performance. I wasn't ready! To say it was amazing would be an understatement. I cried. And I'm not even much of a crier. It was that amazing. This six-minute video is from one of the spoken word artists, Ezekiel,  that was at Legacy this year. Of course, there was a crazy hip-hop concert, a Friday night Cypha and a 16-bar challenge (videos should be posted shortly). 


4. I go every year to better equip myself to serve my city. 


Even in a small town like Staunton, Va., I see a lot of brokenness. I believe that the gospel can bring hope to my city, and I pray to that end. The classroom sessions, like the one above with Gus Cruz (far right in the picture) help me to do just that. P.S. I have never used so many sticky notes in my life. 


5. I go every year because of the opportunities. 



In 2014, they also had a writer's panel that I got to attend. It was very helpful information and it led to more connections with other authors. Writing is one of my greatest passions, so getting the chance to grow as a writer was important to me. In fact, a big part of me getting to publish my first book was through connections I made at the Legacy Conference. 

That's my best shot at convincing you to come with me next year. I write these blogs as a place to start conversations. I would love to hear answers to the following questions: 

1. Who wants to come with me next year?
2. What conferences have you been to that you recommend? 

Chris Lassiter is a Christ-follower, a husband to Emily (read her blog here), a father to five kids and a freelance writer for Young Life Relationships, HipHopDX.com, JamTheHype.com and other publications. His first book, You're Grounded, was published by Moody Publications last year. You can order the book here



No comments:

Post a Comment