black history, theology, Kids' books

Saturday, January 23, 2016

The First Book You Should Read in 2016


Jay Hawkins wrote a great book.





If you want to find out what you are truly passionate about, get this book. 

If you don't want to waste your life, get this book. 

If you need a great recommendation for your 2016 reading list, get this book. 

If the name Jay Hawkins sounds familiar to you, it's because he's the local operator of the Chick-fil-A in Waynesboro. I've been a journalist for over a decade, but when I met Jay, he was the one asking the questions. 

And Jay asked great questions. 

Questions that forced me to ponder answers for hours. 

When he first told me he was writing a book, I was a bit  nervous. By this point in our relationship, I knew Jay had a brilliant mind. But what if his writing genius didn't quite match his business genius? That would be a weird conversation to have in the beginning of a friendship. 

Fortunately, that wasn't the case. 

The Pando Principle is a really good quick read. I've read it twice, and I purchased one for my boss and another for my best friend. 

The book follows a man named Charlie Burns as he watches his father struggle with the idea of retirement. Charlie begins asking himself if he will follow the same path - work a job he didn't love until he was retirement age - or find a different option.

With help from the least likeliest of sources, Charlie starts on a journey. Everything Charlie learns on his journey is sure to help you on your own personal journey. 

If you get The Pando Principle, let me know. I would love to have a book discussion with a group of people who have read the book. There are also resources at thepandoprinciple.com that will help you process what you read. 

I write these blogs as conversation starters. What books are on your 2016 reading list? What is something in your life you want to change in 2016? 

Blogger's note: This was an unsolicited book review. I purchased the book myself, and I did not receive any financial compensation for this review.



Chris Lassiter is a Christ-follower, a husband to Emily (read her blog here), a father to five kids and a freelance writer for Young Life Relationships, HipHopDX.com, JamTheHype.com and other publications. His first book, You're Grounded, was published by Moody Publications in 2013. You can order the book here.  His first kids' book, Grits & the Grimels, comes out this spring. 


No comments:

Post a Comment