black history, theology, Kids' books

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Watching a good friend's dream come true: My man Black Boo.

One of my college teammates - as well as one of my favorite people - has a chance to do something amazing. 

 

And we have a chance to help him do it! 

Black Boo, aka Alfred the MC, was a teammate of mine at Shenandoah University. He's featured as an artist on an album that has been nominated for a Grammy.  

One of his own band Mambo Sauce's most most recognizable songs, Welcome to D.C.,  has been a hit among the professional hockey, football and basketball teams in the nation's capital. ( Watch video to that song above). 

Anybody who knows me at all has literally heard me tell thousands of stories about my college days, and that's because I sincerely love my old teammates and the group of friends I met at Shenandoah. 

Black, left, me and Last Born  at my wedding
I could entertain you for an entire day with stories of Black Boo, including the times that: 
  • He ordered everything on the menu when our professor took us to dinner.
  • He and Last Born started a hip-hop cypha on our tour of ABC News in New York. 
  • He decided to take out his cornrows in the warm-up line at VMI
  • He freestyled an oral presentation on the Pacific Rim. 
  • He challenged an opposing player to a game of one-on-one ... and was serious! 
And none of these would come close to cracking the top 10 funniest things he did at college. 

But Black didn't just provide entertainment. He also provided inspiration. He dreamed of being a musician when we were in college. Now he's got a chance to experience the Grammys. 

The Grammy organization covers the cost for the actual band, but Black can go if he pays his own way since he's a contributor to the Grammy-nominated album recorded by the reggae group Soja. 

And that's where we have a chance to help

Black is trying to raise $2,500. I would love  for everyone who reads this and has any ties to Shenandoah University to give $10. For Black's old teammates, I want to challenge us to give at least $25.  We have a chance to help one of our boys watch his dream come true.  Visit his GoFundMe page here. 

Chris Lassiter is a Christ-follower, a husband to Emily (read her blog here), a father to five kids and a freelance writer for Young Life Relationships, HipHopDX.com, JamTheHype.com and other publications. His first book, You're Grounded, was published by Moody Publications last year. You can order the book here

No comments:

Post a Comment