black history, theology, Kids' books

Friday, June 27, 2014

Why We're Hoping to Open Our Home This Summer




I was 22-years-old. I had accomplished everything on my life's to-do list. 


Play college basketball. Check! Graduate college. Check! Get a job revolving around sports. Check! Get a car. Check! Get an apartment. Check! Get every color of retro Bo Jackson Nike Cross Trainers. Check! 

 And I knew there had to be more than life. I felt empty. 

Thankfully, I had a cousin Pede. He and his wife April  opened their home to me and others. For me, the timing of that group could haven't been better! It came during a season of my life when I was really trying to figure out the meaning of life. I wasn't ready to head back into the church - I hadn't been connected to one for the four years I was in college - but I wanted to talk about spiritual stuff. 

So, week after week, I was in my cousin Pede's home. With a great group of people. I laughed - and got laughed at - and I learned. God really used my time in my cousin's living room to help me understand who Jesus was and what He was all about. 

It changed my life. 

For July and August, my wife and I have prayed and dreamed about doing the same thing: opening our home for people who would be interested in having similar conversations in a home among friends. 

We were thinking about Sunday nights at 8 p.m. We want to hear from anyone who would be interested in coming, and we also need to know any needs you would have. For instance, if you'd like to come but you need babysitting, let us know. 

We'd love to hear from anyone interested in coming. 

Chris Lassiter is a Christ-follower, a husband to Emily (read her blog here), a father to five crazy kids and an author of the book You're Grounded, which you can read about here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment