black history, theology, Kids' books

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Five Things You Should Do in 2014

The new year is here.  It's the time when people either a.) make great plans for the next 365 days or b.) mock people who make great plans for the next 365 days.  



A lot of people laugh at others who look to a date on a calendar to change, but I'm an optimist, and I like to view the new year as a time to start fresh. As I map out my own 2014, I'd invite you to do consider making these five things a part of your new year. 


1.  Make Resolutions.  I know some of you are rolling your eyes, but I love resolutions. Not random or ridiculous goals.  In 2014, I have no dreams to: 
  • wake up in a new Bugatti
  • have one million Twitter followers 
  • re-gain my six-pack from my youth (although I do want to be healthy.) 
Time is precious. A year is a good way to measure time. I just want goals that make sure I'm making this year of my life count. The picture here uses the acronym (S.M.A.R.T.) for goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-bound. It's a good litmus test for goal-setting. (Read an old blog about the importance of goal-setting here.)

 
2. Remember how we interacted before cell phones and social media. I'm cool with social media ... so long as it doesn't replace real relationships. In 2014, go backwards. Write people you care about personal letters. Hang out with your friends in person. Cut your cell phones off one day out of the week. Don't let your social media relationships replace real relationships. Value true friends over followers on Instagram.  No amount of technology can replace the beauty of real friendships.


My wife and I cliff-jumped!
3. Create Memories. In 2013, I decided I wanted to create one memory with everyone in my family. My wife and I worked Young Life camp in beautiful Bermuda. I took my daughters to a Flame and V.Rose concert in Charleston, W. Va. My best friend and I took our sons to the Lego Convention in Louisville, KY., and I took my youngest two daughters to the Virginia Beach Marine Museum. I want to do one thing with each person in my family that they will remember the rest of their lives.


4. Travel.  Make big trips in 2014. Make small trips in 2014. There's so much world to see, so many places to eat, so many different cultures to experience. In October of 2013, my family went to Myrtle Beach. I took the bus down just to see what it would be like spending 19 hours on a bus (not all that fun as it turns out). It was, however, a new experience. I hope to have a bunch more this year.

5. Don't Waste Your Life.  This might be one of the most important hip-hop videos ever made (well worth four minutes of your time)



In the video, two friends plan a robbery that goes horribly wrong. Years later, the men begin corresponding again as they figure what's worth living for in this world. I love the surprise ending.

I relate to this so much. I spent years searching for meaning in sports, accomplishments, relationships and anything I thought could bring ultimate happiness. None of it was bad, but none of it was ultimately fulfilling. 

I found true meaning when I came to understand the one big story of the Bible - God's rescue plan for mankind through the person of work of Jesus Christ. In 2014, ask yourself this important question: Am I wasting my life?

I write these blogs as conversation starters. What's one thing on this list you plan on doing in 2014?

Chris Lassiter is a Christ-follower, a husband to Emily (read her blog here), and a father to five crazy but wonderful kids. He leads Young Life at his former high school, Robert E. Lee, in Staunton, VA. He has written for VIBE, Rapzilla.com, JamTheHype.com, Young Life Relationships and many other publications. Moody Publishers recently published his first book, You're Grounded, which you can read about here. The Cross Promotion blog gets updated twice a week. Please consider subscribing by e-mail or at the bottom of this page where it says "Join This Site."

No comments:

Post a Comment